|By Shirleen Von Hoffmann President & Sales Coach Homebuilder’s Edge Copyright 2009|
|Everyone wants to be “IN shape”? Being”IN” shape is more than just working out your body. Being in Sales Shape means working out your career skill-sets. To get “IN” Shape, you have to constantly improve in at least three areas: food intake, cardio fitness and working your muscles. You work on those three items and you end up with muscles that are defined and work well. The same goes for your Sales Career, What you intake to your brain, matters. Staying fit by updating your sales routine matters and working out your sales muscles, keeps them in shape with defined goals give you the endurance to be on top of your career.
If you take a look at critical components of learning, are you:
- Reading everything possible to improve your skill as a sales person?
- Meeting new people inside and outside your profession so that you are learning, growing and networking with others?
- Failing? Are you taking enough risk and failing periodically in your career so that you stretch your imagination and hone your skills?
- Growing? Are you growing your sales skills and practicing techniques, scripting and closing?
Or are you “OUT ”
- Tell people how you’ve been in the business for so many years and how many training sessions you’ve been to and that you know it all?
- Stay away from conferences and networking groups and isolating your circle of “experts” to those people that you’ve been hanging around since you started your career? In other words, you are continuing to do what has worked for you in the past.
- Act like you know it all when the truth is you don’t even practice the basic sales skills like getting a name and using it or getting contact information and actually following up and closing.
- Boast about sales you did in the past but actually you are falling behind the pack or being on top in your organization?
- Recent Trainers, Coaches or Sales Managers who come in and try to teach you new skills or sharpen old skills?
- Notice “newbies” who come in sharp, with great energy and attitude passing you up on the “likable list” with the Sales Manager? Do you give these same “newbies’ a hard time?
Be tough on yourself. Be honest with yourself. Really ask yourself if you’ve allowed yourself to get comfortable with your routine, a little rusty and just a bit lazy with sharpening your saw? Most importantly have you let your attitude slip into a negative place?
If you can identify with items mentioned above, then you may, in fact, be in “OUT” of Sales Shape. And by being “OUT”, you just may find yourself being put “OUT”.
In today’s marketplace, with competition becoming tougher and tougher, companies are expecting more results with less revenue. If you find you are “OUT”, you must have a plan to start fresh and get “IN” shape because it’s only a matter of time before your Manager decides it’s time to get a sales team that’s “IN” shape.
Today’s formula to be Sales Fit:
- Commit to reading one book a month on business, selling or self – improvement
- Commit to attending a conference at least once a year that focuses on selling.
- Commit to being the best at what you do in your market space.
- Make a commitment to take a few sales risks a day and increase those risks until they are routine and not risks.
- Commit to discovering your weaknesses and working on them until they become your strong points.
- Commit to arriving each day with a positive attitude much like the one you had when you first entered the business. Only you can decide to be happy with your work each day. No one else can decide that for you.
Start today and get yourself “IN” Sales Shape. Read endlessly, learn something new every day that you can apply to your sale profession. Commit to being a lifelong learner, not just from reading books, but also by experiences and from the people you meet. Being a lifelong learner will lead you to become a lifelong earner.
Get “IN” Sales Shape today and find yourself healthier, happier, more prosperous and loving your sales career!