By Shirleen Von Hoffmann “The Queen of Sales” ™ President & Sales Coach for Homebuilders AdvantEdge® & Creating VIP’s ® copyright 2009©
People aren’t interested in what you have to sell; they are only interested in what they need.
It’s the True Sales Pro who can figure out those needs through questioning and sell them.
How do you put the focus on the prospect, instead of our own excitement about what you have to sell to them?
By asking good questions and being a great listener. How do you Listen attentively?
You must HEAR:
The HEAR model stands for Hear, Empathize, Analyze and Respond, all essential to active listening. Use it to better understand the facts, ideas and feelings of the speaker and to help the speaker clarify their own thoughts, problems and solutions.
H – Hear the speaker’s words
• Listen attentively to their words and feelings.
• Keep an open mind. Avoid letting your own feelings, attitudes or opinions interfere with your ability to listen.
• Do not evaluate, censor or try to monopolize the conversation.
• Do not interrupt. It is important to listen to the speaker’s entire thought before you respond.
• Do not listen to think of your response, then you are thinking of your response and not really listening.
E- Empathize; put yourself in their shoes
• Display an interest in their point of view, even if it differs from your own.
• Tilt your head as you listen from side to side.
A – Analyze the speaker’s words and thoughts.
• Listen for the thoughts, feelings and emotions behind the words. Thinking is faster than speech. Use your extra “thought time” to summarize, review and anticipate.
R – Repeat & Respond
• Is the last stage of hearing. Check for understanding, by paraphrasing the facts as well as the speaker’s position. Then respond to the need.
So remember stop trying to sell what you have upfront and instead, question, listen and discover needs. Then just sell those needs. You will find that people love being heard and understood and once you do that the sale just drops in your lap. Give it a try today and watch your sales grow!